Sweet baby girl is 3 months old, or as Happiest Baby on the Block might tell us – out of the 4th trimester (that might be confusing if you haven’t read the book or seen the video)!!! We cannot believe how quickly time has flown by, and at some point I will stop saying that. I know it will only continue to do so.
Some memories from this month:
- You’ve found your hands (as the picture above indicates), and they have subsequently found your mouth! I am pretty sure it is only a matter of time before you become a thumb-sucker. Thankfully your Poppy (the dentist) feels okay about that, and mama does too – sucking on your hand has become a new self-soothing technique, and when we are riding in the car it helps prevent some meltdowns.
- We think we heard your first laugh this past week. Perhaps it is too soon, but it was a coo that lasted much longer than usual. In either case, we loved it, and it has just made us eager for the day when you will laugh.
- We took you on your first road trips this month – we started with a wedding in Boerne (fail) and followed it with a week at the beach in Galveston (moderately successful). We now understand that when it comes to kids we don’t vacation, we just travel. Or as my friend Emily put it, I do the same job somewhere else but with less of the things I need.
- You are starting to enjoy our weekly routine of going to Stroller Strides! When we launched Fort Worth Moms Blog, we brought on a wonderful contributor (shout out Anna!) who runs Stroller Strides, and this has become a great addition to our week. Mom gets exercise and an opportunity to meet other moms and watch them love on their babies, Piper gets time outdoors, we both get out of the house – I could go on about the benefits, but let’s just say that this has been a HUGE win for us.
- Drool, drool, drool, drool, drool.
- You aren’t quite close to sitting up on your own, but you are getting stronger each day! I can sit you in the bumbo for short periods of time and you will hold that head up high! The nurses at the pediatrician’s office even commented on how “advanced” you are. That may or may not be true, but what mother doesn’t love hearing that!
- Daddy got to celebrate his first Father’s Day – we love our Papa!
Though the list of sweet things about our dear Piper could continue, I must admit that this has been the most challenging month we have walked through thus far. It is difficult to pinpoint exactly what is going on, but we have hit a phase of reflux/colic/fussiness – something. We have had many doctor’s appointments, convos with nurses/lactation consultants/other moms, and we can’t seem to get a grip on it. At times I feel overwhelmed, struggling to trust my mommy instinct and reading far too many books and articles on the subject. In many ways, I know her little body just needs to grow and get accustomed to this world, but if I am going to be candid, I must admit that I have never felt so helpless. Though most of the time unwelcome, it has been such a reminder of my dependence on the Lord in ALL things. As we use our intellect and faculties to try to figure out what may be bothering her, I am being reminded each day that my first step each morning is to entrust her over to Him, knowing he is the great Healer, her Protector and Provider, and we are called to be faithful and pray this season will end soon while continuing to love and provide for her the best way we know how!